There is a Central Sector Scheme of Ministry of Shipping under which 100% financial assistance is given to every North Eastern State of India for development of IWT infrastructure in the State. The projects are formulated and executed by the respective State Governments after the same are sanctioned by the Ministry of Shipping under CSS. Every year, fund provision is made in the budget of Ministry of Shipping for projects to be implemented under this CSS so far.
Under the CSS scheme, following projects are being implemented at present: -
- Construction of 15 nos. of 17.0 m long floating terminals at 15 Ghats Bank on River Brahmaputra (NW-2) in Assam
- Construction of 15 nos. of 17.0 m long floating terminals at 15 ferry Ghats on the river Barak (NW-16) in Assam
- Construction of 25 nos. of 17.0 m long floating terminals at 25 Ghats Bank on the River Brahmaputra (NW-2) in Assam
- Construction of 16 nos. of 25.0 m long floating terminals at 16 Ghats Points on the River Brahmaputra (NW-2) in Assam
- Government of Manipur's project “Loktak Inland Water Transport Project-II” for Loktak Lake in Manipur
- Inland Water Transport project in Mizoram for “Preparation of DPR for Tuichawang/ Karnaphuli river under Central Sector Scheme
Development of IWT in Gumti River in Tripura with a view to setting up linkage with Meghna river system in Bangladesh.